Elijah Served As A Prophet:
The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that the one true God is not like the false gods. We do not have to work hard to show God we love Him. Instead, He showed His love for us by sending His Son, Jesus. Jesus died to rescue us from sin, and He hears us when we cry out to Him.
“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.”
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
STEP 1. GATHER!
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Set up a taste challenge for your family. Purchase two colas of similar brands. Serve each family member a small cup of each, but don’t tell them which soda is in each cup. Share the taste test results with the family and talk about how Psalm 34:8 tells us to taste and see that the Lord is good. Remind kids that the God of the Bible is the one true God and there is no one like Him!
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 3. BIBLE!
Watch the Bible story video or read 1 Kings 16-18 from the Bible or Watch:
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- King Ahab led the people to worship other gods. This made God angry, so God sent Elijah to talk to Ahab.
- Elijah said, “No rain will fall in Israel for three years.” This was how God would punish the people. Without rain, the people did not have water and they could not grow food to eat.
- Later, Elijah told King Ahab to meet him at Mount Carmel with the false gods like Baal (BAY uhl). “You call to Baal,” Elijah said. “I will call on the Lord. The God who answers is the one true God.”
- The people cried loudly, but Baal was silent.
- Elijah made an altar. Elijah prayed, “Answer me, God, so that these people will know that You are God.”
- God answered by sending fire from the sky! The fire burned up the offering and the altar. The people said, “The Lord, He is God!”
- Soon the sky grew dark with clouds, and God sent rain.
- In 1975, the world was introduced to the Pepsi Challenge. As part of their advertising campaign, Pepsi set up blind taste tests in supermarkets where participants sipped from two cups—one containing Pepsi and one containing Coca-Cola. Not knowing which soda was in each cup, the participant would choose the drink they liked most. Interestingly, most of the participants chose the sweeter taste of Pepsi, but Coca-Cola continued to be the more popular and better selling brand. Guess that’s why Coca-Cola says you can’t beat the Real Thing!
- When Ahab became king over Israel, all the people turned away from God and worshiped false gods. Even after God sent a drought and famine in the land, Ahab continued to let the people choose to follow false gods or the one true God. So, God’s prophet, Elijah, set up a test to show the people who is the one true God. As hard as the others tried to show the power of their gods, no one answered their prayers. When Elijah called on God, He sent fire from the sky that consumed the sacrifice, the wet wood on the altar, and even the dust around it! There was no doubt that He is the one true God!
- Psalm 34:8 says, “Taste and see that the Lord is good!” There is no one like God. As we read the Bible and see His power, His wisdom, and His love, we can worship Him because there is nothing as great as Him!
- The one true God is not like the false gods. We do not have to work hard to show God we love Him. Instead, He showed His love for us by sending His Son, Jesus. Jesus died to rescue us from sin, and He hears us when we cry out to Him.
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray: God, there is no one like You! You are worthy of all our praise because You are the one true God. Help us to cry out to You when we need help and to trust in Your power to save.