The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that God was in control over Haman’s evil plan to destroy the Jews. Like Haman, Satan wants to ruin God’s plan and destroy believers. Satan thought he had won when Jesus died on the cross, but God raised Jesus from the dead and defeated Satan once and for all. All who believe in Jesus are rescued from sin and death.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Take turns playing with a remote-control car or helicopter. Set up an obstacle course for each family member to guide the car through. Afterward, talk about how the remote gave control to whoever was holding it. While we aren’t perfect with that power, God always is perfect and will work out His good plans no matter what.
Purim is a Jewish feast to celebrate the saving of the Jewish people from Haman’s plan. Baskets of pastries, candy, and juice are often given to family members and those in need as part of the celebration. Assemble a basket of food and drinks that you can give to someone else. Take the opportunity to share the story of Esther and how her story points us to the greater rescuer—Jesus!
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- King Ahasuerus (uh haz yoo EHR uhs) of Persia chose who to be his queen? Esther! Esther was a Jew, one of God’s people.
- One day, her cousin Mordecai found out bad news. Do you remember what news that was?—Haman, one of the kings leaders wanted to destroy the Jews.
- Esther wanted to help her people, but no one could go to the king without being asked first. The only way not to be punished was if the king held out his what? Scepter
- Was Esther afraid? Yes. Esther was afraid, but she went to the king anyway. The king saw Esther waiting and held out his scepter to her.
- Esther asked the king and Haman to come to a feast.What is a feast? At the feast, the king said, “What can I do for you?” Esther said, “Please save my people!”
- The king made a law to keep the Jews safe from their enemies.
Christ Connection: Haman’s evil plan could not stop God. God had a plan for Esther to rescue the Jews. By saving the Jews, God made the way for His Son, Jesus, to come into the world.
- In 2011, Volkswagen aired a Super Bowl commercial that featured a young boy, dressed as Darth Vader, trying to control things by using “the force.” After several failed attempts at moving objects, the boy stands in front of his dad’s car, puts his hands out toward the car, and the car engine starts! The boy is amazed at his powers, but the commercial reveals the dad standing inside the house using a remote to start the car. The father was in control the whole time!
- As we read the Book of Esther, God’s name never appears in the story. He is not mentioned one time, yet it is evident that He is control the whole time! When Mordecai heard of Haman’s evil plan to kill the Jews, he reminded Esther that perhaps God had made her queen for a purpose. God used Esther to save His people from Haman.
- Esther’s life did not go exactly the way she planned. There were ups and downs, but God was in control the whole time! We can trust that God has a plan for us, too. No matter what happens in our lives, we can trust that God is in control, and His plans will always be for His glory and our good!
Christ Connection: God’s words brought hope to God’s people because His words were true. God can always be trusted. Jeremiah told about a day when God would forgive sin and change people’s hearts. Jesus’ death and resurrection provides forgiveness of sins. Through Jesus, we have new hearts and life with God forever.
- Recall that Hudson Taylor knew from a young age that he wanted to help Chinese people know about Jesus. He had a special understanding that he needed to live like the Chinese people so they would believe what he told them about Jesus.
- SAY “Hudson was very enthusiastic about telling people about Jesus. The organization that he founded is still in operation to support missionaries in China. The organization brought missionaries to China while Hudson was there. His organization trained Chinese workers, raised money, and developed a Chinese church with many people.”
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray: God, You are always in control. Help us to trust that You have a plan, and Your plans are good. Even when we don’t understand what is happening, remind us that You have the power to use what the enemy means for evil and turn it for good and for Your glory! Amen.