The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that God’s law shows us what He requires. Our sin separates us from a holy God, but Jesus came to bring us back to God. When we trust in Jesus, He takes away our sin and gives us His perfect righteousness.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Play a game of “Red Light, Green Light.” Players move toward you when you call “Green Light,” but must freeze immediately when you call “Red Light.” If any player moves when you call “Red Light,” the player is out of the game. Play a few rounds while increasing the frequency of commands to make the game increasingly difficult. Try to make it so no one can perfectly follow the calls to move. Discuss how hard it is to follow God’s rules perfectly. Then talk about how Jesus kept all God’s commandments perfectly on our behalf and how we are saved by grace—not by following rules.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Have you ever played a game with someone who added rules to the game or changed them as the game went on?
- Without knowing the rules, you can’t know when you do something wrong or why you might get penalized. It’s also not fair if the rules change and other players get a chance that you didn’t get. It can be very frustrating not knowing the rules. You just wish you knew what is required in order to win the game.
- God gave the Israelites the Ten Commandments to help them know what is required for a person to be righteous. Everyone had the same commandments, and they didn’t change. The first four commandments showed the Israelites what it meant to love God and how to have a right relationship with Him. The other six commandments taught the Israelites how to live with and love others.
- God’s rules are good and are meant to help us love Him, love others, and live a life that is righteous. There was one big problem though.
- Do you think anyone could follow those rules? None of the Israelites—and none of us for that matter—could ever perfectly follow those rules. The Bible is clear that we all sin and fall short of God’s standard for holiness.
- Can our obedience save us? No, Our obedience can’t save us.
- Instead, salvation is found in Jesus alone, the only perfectly righteous One. He takes away the sin of anyone who believes and welcomes him or her into God’s family. To those who believe in Him, Jesus gives power through the Holy Spirit to “love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind” and to “love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39).
- God’s law shows us what He requires. Our sin separates us from a holy God, but Jesus came to bring us back to God. When we trust in Jesus, He takes away our sin and gives us His perfect righteousness.
- God, You are faithful in everything. We can trust You because You always do what You say You will do. We praise You for sending Jesus as Savior and as the fulfillment of Your greatest promise.