The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that By feeding the crowd, Jesus provided for the physical needs of the people. Later, Jesus called Himself the bread of life. (John 6:35) Only Jesus can satisfy our souls forever by providing forgiveness, peace with God, and eternal life.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Pick a night this week to let kids make the family dinner. Allow them to pick the menu, shop for groceries, and prepare the meal (with appropriate adult supervision). While enjoying the meal, talk about the work that went into preparing the meal and how it was a sign of their love for the family. Remind kids that Jesus’ miracles are not only a display of His power, but also a display of His love. He performed those miracles because He loved the people who needed His help.
Plan a cookout or picnic with neighbors. Invite them to come and share a meal with your family as a way of showing them love and hospitality. Remind your family what Jesus said about the world knowing His disciples by the way they love one another. We can show love to others because Jesus has first loved us!
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Jesus had been traveling with His friends. He healed people and taught people about God.
- Jesus looked at a big crowd of people. Did He love them? Yes!
- They had been with Jesus for three days, and some had come a long way to meet Him.
- Were the people hungry? Yes!
- How many loaves of bread did Jesus friends have? 7
- Jesus told all the people to sit down. He took the bread, gave thanks to God, and broke it into pieces. What else did the friends have? The friends also had a few small fish, so Jesus blessed the fish. The friends gave the bread and fish to the people.
- Everyone ate and was full. How many extra baskets did they have? Jesus’ friends even picked up seven baskets of extra pieces. Then Jesus told the people to go home.
Christ Connection: Jesus fed the people who were hungry. Jesus can give us everything we need: forgiveness, peace with God, and life with Him forever.
- What’s the biggest cheeseburger you’ve ever seen? If you visit Mallie’s Sports Grill in Michigan, be sure to check out their 134-pound cheeseburger. It comes with beef patties, bacon, cheese, and pickles—all stuffed between a 50-pound bun! That burger might be enough to feed most of the families in your church!
- The miracle of Jesus feeding a huge crowd of people is a great display of His power. He fed thousands of people with just seven loaves and a few fish—and they had plenty of food leftover! But this miracle was also a great display of Jesus’ love.
- Jesus saw the people’s physical need of hunger. He saw how it might keep them from hearing His teaching and believing in Him as the Messiah. So, Jesus provided for their needs. On the cross, Jesus provided for our greatest need. Sin keeps us from enjoying a relationship with God, so Jesus willingly sacrificed His own life to save all who believe in Him. This is the greatest demonstration of His love.
Christ Connection:• By feeding the crowd, Jesus provided for the physical needs of the people. Later, Jesus called Himself the bread of life. (John 6:35) Only Jesus can satisfy our souls forever by providing forgiveness, peace with God, and eternal life.
- STEP 5. Pray!
It is important to tell the people in North Africa and the Middle East about Jesus so the millions of people living there can hear about Jesus’ love for them. Jesus wants to give them everything they need: forgiveness, peace with God, and life with Him forever.
Remind the your family that Henderson Hills Baptist Church in Oklahoma wanted to help people in North Africa and the Middle East know about God’s Son, Jesus. Ask your family to pray with you that more churches will help to tell the people of North Africa and the Middle East about Jesus.
- Pray: Jesus, You are the Miracle Worker. You have healed the sick, made the blind to see, and fed thousands with just loaves and fish. We see Your power through these miracles, but more importantly we see Your love for the people who received these miracles. Thank You for giving Your life to provide salvation to all who believe in You. Amen.