Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
PLAY “Buried Treasure”
Say: I would love to know what kind of treasure YOU would want to find!
- On your turn, tell everyone your name, and then whisper what treasure you would want to find into your neighbor’s ear.
- We’ll whisper that all the way around the circle, and see if we get it right at the end! (Examples of treasure: gold, candy, money) (Allow each child to whisper what treasure he or she would want to find!)
SAY: That sounds like some awesome treasure! Did you know that ALL of us have already found the greatest treasure ever? (Allow responses)
The good news about Jesus is the best treasure ever and we can share it with everyone. That’s what we need to know today, so everyone say this after me: The Good News Is Treasure to Share!
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Why did Jesus say He was going to heaven? (To prepare a new home for us)
- Did God give Jesus complete power over heaven AND earth? (Yes) And what does God’s Holy Spirit give us power to do? (Tell people about Jesus)
- Before He left, what did Jesus tell us to never forget? (He is always with us—everywhere we go)
We’ve seen with our pirate eyes that Jesus has the power to be in Heaven AND to ALWAYS be with us at the
same time! Only Jesus can do that!
We’ve made a discovery! Jesus Is Always With Us! Do this with me:
The Bible Says (hold out hands like book)
Jesus (point up)
Is Always (index finger draws circle)
With Us! (thumbs to chest)
- Why were the people sad at first? (Because Jesus had died) True or False: Everything happened as God had planned. (True)
- Since Jesus appeared to the disciples, could He still be dead? (No, God brought Jesus back to life after He died! That is such good news!)
- What did Jesus say the disciples would be baptized with? (The Holy Spirit)
- Who did Jesus say to share the good news with? (Everyone in the world)
- What is the good news? (Jesus died and came back to life to forgive us)
Say: From what you’ve learned today, can you tell me what the good news is? (Jesus saved us fromnour sins and rose from the dead) You got it!
STEP 5. Pray!
- Heavenly Father, thank you for sending Jesus to take the punishment for my sin. It makes me celebrate knowing He did not stay dead, but He is alive! Help us to take the “Good news” with us everywhere we go to tell others! Thank you for loving us so much! Amen.