The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that God has always existed as three Persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father sent the Son to rescue us from sin. He gives us the Holy Spirit to comfort us, show us our sins, and guide us as we live for God’s glory.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Make a memory book with photos, letters, drawings, or similar items to remember the ways God has been at work in your family. Think about the times God has shown His faithfulness to be with you, to help you, and to remind you of His love. Explain that—like the miracles of Jesus—the amazing things we see God do are meant to reveal how much He loves us and how much we can trust Him. Keep the book in a place that can be revisited from time to time for a reminder of who God is and how He is working in your family!
Work with kids to study some of the miracles Jesus did in His ministry. Allow kids to write scripts for reenacting those stories. Volunteer to teach younger kids on a Sunday at your church and use the skits to teach them about Jesus. If you have kids in your neighborhood, host a backyard Bible club and teach the miracles to kids each day.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Jesus had told His friends that some sad things would happen. Jesus said He was going away. Could they go with him? No, they could not come with Him.
- Jesus came to earth to rescue sinners. He was going to do that by dying on the cross and rising from the dead. Then He would go back to heaven.
- “Do not be upset,” Jesus said. Jesus was going away, but that was for their good. “My Father’s house has many rooms, and I will get a place ready for you,” Jesus said. “Then, I will come back so you can come with Me.”
- Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
- Jesus reminded them of His miracles that prove He is God. He did amazing things—healing the sick, raising the dead, calming a storm—to show that He is God the Son.
- Jesus promised to give His followers a gift: God the Spirit. “The Holy Spirit will be with you,” Jesus said. “He will teach you and remind you of everything I have told you.”
Christ Connection: Jesus came to help us understand what God is like. God the Father sent His Son to rescue us from sin. He gives us the Holy Spirit to help us as we live for Him.
- Anyone who wants to travel internationally is required to have a passport. A passport comes from the country in which the person has citizenship, and it gives the person’s name, birthdate, and physical characteristics. When entering other countries or reentering his home country, the passport is used to ensure a person is who he says he is.
- When Philip asked Jesus to show him the Father, Jesus replied that anyone who has seen Him has seen the Father. Like a passport that proves a person’s identity, Jesus’ powerful teaching and amazing miracles prove that He is God. When He was healing the sick, raising the dead, and forgiving sins—things only God can do—Jesus was showing His divine authority and power.
- As we learn about the miracles of Jesus, we might be amazed or excited. But be careful not to miss the point. Jesus’ miracles were signs that are meant to point us to God and help us to believe in Him. Jesus’ miracles are meant to show us the beauty of God’s plan to restore His relationship with His creation. Jesus came to dwell with sinners and died to offer them new life in Him. God continues to dwell with those who believe in Jesus by sending the Holy Spirit—who is God living with and within every believer. When you hear of Jesus’ miracles, realize that God is showing you His plan to come and restore a relationship with You.
Christ Connection:God has always existed as three Persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father sent the Son to rescue us from sin. He gives us the Holy Spirit to comfort us, show us our sins, and guide us as we live for God’s glory.
- STEP 5. Pray!
Tell your family that many countries in North Africa and the Middle East make it hard to share Jesus with the people living there. Tell them that radio programs and internet apps have become a way for people in these countries to learn about Jesus.
SAY “Ibrahim (name changed) wanted to share the hope of the gospel with people of North Africa and the Middle East. Ibrahim was led to trust in Jesus by a believer and now records radio programs that share the good news of Jesus. Because of the work of Ibrahim and others, Yahiya (name changed) heard the radio program about Jesus in his own language and wanted to know more. Yahiya’s questions were answered and he trusted in Jesus.”
Pray that others will hear the radio programs in their own language and believe in Jesus. Ask God to help Ibrahim and Yahiya continue to share Jesus with others.
- Pray: God, thank You for wanting to dwell with us. You sent Jesus—God the Son—to rescue us from sin, and You send Your Spirit to dwell with us and in us when we believe. Thank You for giving us all these ways to see who You are and to help us believe in You. Amen.