The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that Moses disobeyed God and did not enter the promised land. We all have disobeyed God by sinning. But God gave us His Son, Jesus. Jesus always obeyed God. When we trust in Him, Jesus brings us into God’s kingdom forever.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Play “Simon Says” with the whole family. Allow each kid in your family to take turns calling out instructions. After the game, talk about how hard it can be to obey instructions. Explain to your kids that all have sinned and fall short of God’s glory. Remind them that this is why we need Jesus—the One who saves us from our sins..
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- In 2011, a woman visiting the city of Bellevue, Washington, accidentally drove her car directly into a lake. While searching for her hotel after dark, the woman ignored the directions of the car’s navigation system, took a wrong turn, ended up on a boat ramp, and drove the car right into the water. The woman was safe, but the car was never able to be recovered from the lake. What a costly mistake.
- As the Israelites wandered in the wilderness, Moses disobeyed God, and it was a costly mistake. The Israelites continued to grumble and complain because the wilderness was not where they wanted to be. Do you think they were hungry, and they were thirsty? Yes!
- God told Moses and Aaron to go and speak to a rock, and it would produce water for the Israelites to drink. However, Moses told the people that he and Aaron would bring water from the rock. Did Moses obey God? No, Moses struck the rock with his staff and water came out.
- The rock produced water for the people to drink, but Moses had disobeyed God’s directions. Moses sinned against God by trusting in his own ability and his own plan to give the people water. Because of their sin, God did not allow Moses and Aaron to lead the Israelites into the promised land.
- Sin is always costly. Whether big or small, any sin breaks our relationship with God. Our disobedience must be punished, but we see God’s mercy through who? Jesus! Jesus took the punishment for every sin, and He paid the cost for us. Only Jesus can cover our costly mistakes and rebellion.
- Moses disobeyed God and did not enter the promised land. We all have disobeyed God by sinning. But God gave us His Son, Jesus. Jesus always obeyed God. When we trust in Him, Jesus brings us into God’s kingdom forever.
- Pray: God, forgive us when we disobey You. We know that sin breaks our relationship with You, and it must be punished. We thank You for the mercy You’ve shown by sending Jesus to cover the cost of sin.