The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that, by faith, Rahab believed God would win the battle. When the Israelites attacked Jericho, Rahab and her family received mercy and became part of God’s people. Jesus has won against sin and death. Everyone who trusts in Jesus receives mercy and becomes part of God’s family forever.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Hold a competition to see who in your family can build the sturdiest tower using building blocks or construction bricks. Use books or weights to see whose structure can hold the most weight. As you build, discuss why only God could defeat Jericho. Then, read Matthew 1 to find Rahab in Jesus’ genealogy. Discuss how God used this event to save Rahab and how she became part of His story to bring Jesus as the Savior we need.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Have you ever seen or participated in a trust fall? This is when a person stands in a chair and falls backward into the arms of a few people waiting to catch them. It’s a pretty scary adventure for sure! One way to make the trust fall easier is to select people you know can be trusted to catch you—like your parents. Falling backward to them is easier because you know they love you and want to protect you.
- To enter the land God had promised them, the Israelites had to first take over the city of Jericho. This would not be an ordinary battle. This battle was all about trust. God gave Joshua specific—and very different—instructions for how to conquer the city.
- Joshua sent spies into Jericho to see what it was like. They were housed and protected by a woman named Rahab. In exchange for her kindness, Rahab asked the Israelites to keep her safe when they conquered the city, so the spies promised to keep her and her family safe.
- Joshua and the Israelites followed God’s instructions by marching around the city once a day for six days. On the seventh day, the Israelite army marched around the city seven times and the priests blew their trumpets loudly. As the people shouted, the walls of Jericho fell to the ground. The whole city was destroyed, but Rahab and her family were saved.
- It can be hard for us to trust, especially when we don’t understand what God is doing. Even in those moments, we can know that God is good and that He is in control. The Israelites and Rahab trusted that God would win the battle, and He delivered!
- By faith, Rahab believed God would win the battle. When the Israelites attacked Jericho, Rahab and her family received mercy and became part of God’s people. Jesus has won against sin and death. Everyone who trusts in Jesus receives mercy and becomes part of God’s family forever
- Pray: Lord, help us to trust that You are good and always in control. We know that Your plans will never fail, and we thank you most of all for Your plan to send Jesus so that everyone who trusts in Him will be saved.