The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that God alone is worthy of our worship. He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross and save us from our sins. We can turn from our idolatry and evil ways to rejoice in the God who saves.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Take a family fast this week from an item or practice that is often used in your home. It could be a fast from TV, going out to eat, or certain types of food. At the end of the week, talk about how your body and mind craved those things because they have become so important to your daily life. Would we feel the same withdrawals if we went a week without worshiping Jesus? Discuss some practices like singing together, reading God’s Word, or serving that would make worshiping God a more regular practice in the life of your family.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Like Elijah and Elisha, Isaiah was a prophet. Isaiah’s words are written in the Book of Isaiah in the Bible. Isaiah lived a long time ago, but we can learn the things God wants us to know when we read his words.
- In the story man is building a statue, an idol. Talk about whether there is anything powerful about the statue.
- Lead children to realize there is no power in man-made items, but only in the one true God. Tell preschoolers that we are to worship only God, who sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross to save us from our sins.
- We are to worship only God. He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross and save us from our sins. We can turn from our sin and celebrate because God saves.
- Matty Benedetto is known as the creator of “Unnecessary Inventions”: a store, YouTube channel, and social media account. He invents products that no one needs because they have no purpose. His inventions include things like the Hoverbrella—an umbrella that attaches to a drone and the FurRoller—a contraption that covers your clothing in pet hair so you can pretend to be an animal lover. He has a lab full of useless inventions that never should’ve been made!
- As we read through the history of Israel, we see the people turning away from God and worshiping idols. These idols were nothing but wood or metal. They had no power to help the people, much less the power to save them from sin. Even still, the people chose to worship useless things they had created instead of worshiping the God who had created them!
- The Bible tells us that God is jealous for His people. It doesn’t mean He is jealous in a sinful way, because God is without sin. It means that God deserves all our worship, and He wants us to enjoy worshipping Him. God loves us so much that He doesn’t want us wasting our time making unnecessary inventions to worship; because of Jesus we can worship the one true God!
- God alone is worthy of our worship. He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross and save us from our sins. We can turn from our idolatry and evil ways to rejoice in the God who saves.
- Pray: God, thank You for sending Jesus to die on the cross and save us from our sins. Help us to believe in Him. Give us the strength to turn away from the other things that want our worship and help us to give it all to You.