The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that Boaz was a family redeemer. He helped his close relatives who were in trouble. Boaz cared for Ruth and Naomi because their husbands had died. In a similar way, Jesus is our Redeemer. We need help because we sin. Jesus bought our salvation for us by taking our punishment when He died on the cross.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Make cards or treats for someone you know is going through a hard time or needs encouragement. Talk with kids about how Jesus is our comfort in hard times and how everyone who believes in Him is welcomed into God’s family.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Can you imagine what it would be like to go deep inside a cave with no flashlight? Spelunkers—people who explore caves—say it is one of the scariest places on Earth! The heavy darkness of an unlit cave is the ultimate example of what it means to feel alone and how scary that can be.
- When we read the story of Naomi, we see how she was experiencing loneliness and sadness. Her husband and sons had died, and she was in a strange land with just her two daughters-in-law. So, Naomi decided she would return to her home in Bethlehem, but she gave permission for the two younger women to return to their families in Moab. Do you remember what Ruth said? Ruth said to Naomi, “Where you go, I will go … your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.” So, the two women returned to Bethlehem together.
- Ruth’s decision to follow Naomi was also a decision to trust and follow the one true God. The loneliness these widows had felt was now overpowered by the love they had for one another. And God continued to add to that family through a man named _______? Boaz. Boaz married Ruth and bought back the land Naomi’s family had lost. Through Ruth and Boaz, God had completely restored the inheritance and the family of Naomi. Not only that, but Ruth and Boaz had a son named Obed. When Obed grew up, he was the father of Jesse, who was the father of King David! God made Naomi’s family a part of someone very important’s family tree! Jesus!
- Boaz cared for Ruth and Naomi. In a much greater way, Jesus is our Redeemer. When sin left us alone and separated from God, One who paid for our sins and adopts anyone who believes in Him? Jesus!
- Boaz was a family redeemer. He helped his close relatives who were in trouble. Boaz cared for Ruth and Naomi because their husbands had died. In a similar way, Jesus is our Redeemer. We need help because we sin. Jesus bought our salvation for us by taking our punishment when He died on the cross.
- Pray: God, we praise You because Your plans are always great! You provided for Ruth and Naomi when they were in great need, and You have provided for us in our greatest need. Thank You for sending Jesus to take our punishment on the cross.