The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that the ark of God reminded the Israelites that God was with them. Years later, God gave His people something greater than a sign that He was with them; God gave them His Son, Jesus—God in the flesh. One of Jesus’ names is Immanuel, which means “God with us.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Go for a walk or run as a family. Allow kids to pick the route. Talk about God’s promise to be with His people wherever they went. Ask kids how God has extended that promise to anyone who believes in Jesus. How is God with them wherever they go?
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- On April 21, 1980, Rosie Ruiz was declared the winner of the women’s division of the Boston Marathon. The only problem was that Rosie Ruiz was a fraud. Instead of running the 26.2-mile race, Ruiz waited in the crowd and snuck onto the road to run only the final mile of the race. She was disqualified, and the real winner was crowned. Clearly, she had no business running the race with the real marathoners!
- After the Philistines defeated the Israelites, they captured the ark of the covenant and took it back to their city. The ark was a symbol of God’s presence, but the Philistines placed it beside the statue of Dagon, a false god they worshiped. The next morning, the statue of Dagon had fallen on its face in front of the ark. The Philistines set the statue up again, but it fell again and broke the head and hands clean off! God made it clear that He is the one true God and that Dagon—or any false god—has no business standing next to Him!
- God promised to be with His people. This promise gives comfort to know that God is near, but it also gives courage to know that He is the one true God who has all power, authority, and control. There is no one like Him! One day, every creature in heaven and on earth will fall face down—just like the statue of Dagon—and worship Him.
- The ark of God reminded the Israelites that God was with them. Years later, God gave His people something greater than a sign that He was with them; God gave them His Son, Jesus—God in the flesh. One of Jesus’ names is Immanuel, which means “God with us.”
- Pray: There is no one like You, God! You have sent Jesus to be God with us. Help us to believe in Him so that we can experience the comfort and courage of knowing You are always with us.