The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our children that God rescued Noah and his family because of his grace, not their goodness. We too are rescued through Jesus because of God’s grace
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Play Captain says! Play like Simon Says. Have everyone line up and have the children call out, “Captain, the flood is coming; may we come aboard the rescue boat?” The captain replies, “You may come aboard the rescue boat and raise one arm. (raise one leg, shake your hands, jump up and down etc…). Use several different motions sometimes excluding the words “you may come aboard the rescue boat” and only say the action. If anyone does the action without you saying the words “you may come aboard the rescue boat” they are out. Continue playing until you have a winner.
Preschool Play Follow the Leader using these motions. Make a line and have everyone follow you while saying “follow the captain stomp your feet, Follow the captain raise your hands, jump up and down, etc…)
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- SAY: “So much has changed. In our first story when God made the world, it was perfect. Now the world is full of sin. So God sends a flood, but he rescues Noah and his family.
- Ask: “What did Noah need to build the ark?” Get answers like hammer, wood, saw, etc.
- “What did Noah’s friends do when they saw him building the ark? That’s right; they pointed and laughed because they didn’t believe Noah about the flood or needing to be rescued.”
- “Who was on the ark and was rescued? Yes, Noah, his family, and the animals.”
- “What was it like on the ark with all those animals? Correct; very crowded, hard to move, noisy, and very smelly.”
- “What did Noah say as soon as he got off the ark? Did he say: ‘I never want to see another animal as long as I live!’ or did he say: ‘Thank you, God, for rescuing us, just as you promised!’?”
- Say: “God promised never again to send a flood to destroy the world. That isn’t because the world did not go wrong again. It did. But in the same way that God rescued Noah and his family, God promises he will send a Rescuer to rescue us.”
- Ask: “Who is the greatest Rescuer of all who comes to rescue us? Yes, it is Jesus.”
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray aloud, thanking God that he had a plan to rescue Noah and that he has a plan to rescue us.
- Ask the children to pray, thanking God for sending Jesus, the greatest Rescuer of all.