The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that when David repented of his sin, God forgave him, but sin always comes with a price. God spared David’s life, but David’s son died. When we sin, we deserve death. But we can receive God’s forgiveness because God sent His Son, Jesus, to pay the price for our sin.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Reenact Nathan’s story of the rich man, the poor man, and the sheep. Use a favorite candy to represent the sheep and two family members to represent the rich man and the poor man. Discuss how the story represents David and his sin.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Hoshi Ryokan, a hotel in Japan, is the oldest family business in the world. The hotel was started in 718, and it has been owned and operated by the same family every day since. The business has now been passed down through 46 generations!
- It’s rare to see something like a home or business pass from generation to generation without interruption. David probably felt shocked and honored when God promised that someone from his family would be king forever. In an age when kings would rise and fall, God’s promise shows how faithful He is to keep the family of David on the throne forever. Only God can keep such a promise!
- God made another promise. He promised to send a Savior who would rescue people from sin. The promised Savior is Jesus, who just happened to be the 25th great-grandfather of David. Jesus came from the family of David and is now the King of kings who sits on the throne forever!
- When David repented of his sin, God forgave him, but sin always comes with a price. God spared David’s life, but David’s son died. When we sin, we deserve death. But we can receive God’s forgiveness because God sent His Son, Jesus, to pay the price for our sin.
- Pray: God, You are great, and nothing is hidden from You. Even when our sin deserves to be punished, You loved the world enough to send Jesus. Help us to confess our sin and seek the forgiveness You offer to us through Jesus.