Nahum Warned of God's Judgment:
The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that Nahum brought a message of comfort to God’s people, reminding them that God loves His people and will protect them from their enemies. Jesus also brought a message of comfort, salvation, and peace to His people. All of the enemies of God and His children were defeated at the cross. One day, God will finally judge all evil.
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are.”
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
STEP 1. GATHER!
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Write a letter or send an email to a missionary family your church supports,
Bo & Lauren
Micah & Lauren
Use the letter to encourage them as they share God’s message of hope to people. Make a card or piece of artwork to include with the letter that references the words of Nahum 1:7.
Send Letter to
Konnection Kids FWN
105 Moore Circle
Lyons, GA 30536
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 3. BIBLE!
Watch the Bible story video or read the book of Nahum from the Bible:
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Last week we learned how God sent the prophet Jonah to the city of Nineveh. Jonah warned the people to stop doing wrong things.
- Did they listen? they listened and God did not punish them.
- Many years later, the people of Nineveh were being mean again and were fighting against God’s people. They refused to listen to God, so God was going to punish them. God told the prophet Nahum to give them what kind of news? bad news.
- God had to punish the people of Nineveh.
- Is God is good and fair? YES! That means He will not let people keep doing wrong things.
- Nahum’s message was bad news for the people of Nineveh and, at the same time, good news for God’s people. God is good and takes care of His people.
- Did you know that Jesus has good news for people who love and trust Him? When Jesus died on the cross, He made a way for us to be forgiven of all our sin. God promises that one day, Jesus will return to take away all bad things forever.
- In 1962, Marvel Comics introduced the character of Dr. Robert Bruce Banner, but you probably better know him as The Incredible Hulk! Dr. Banner was a shy, quiet physicist who transforms into a raging muscular green giant every time he gets angry. You definitely didn’t want to make Hulk angry because the comic always said, “The madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets."
- When we read how the prophet Nahum describes God as jealous, avenging, and wrathful, it can make us think God is like The Incredible Hulk—a guy who just gets angry and destroys things. That’s not how God is at all! Nahum also describes God as “slow to anger and great in power.”
- While God must punish sin, He is patient and desires to show mercy to all who will trust in Him.
- God is jealous for our worship because He alone deserves it. He doesn’t want to share His glory with anything else, and He rightly gets angry when He sees people worship anything other than Him. The prophet Nahum reminded God’s people that He will punish sin, but He will bring peace and protection to those who love and worship Him.
- Nahum brought a message of comfort to God’s people, reminding them that God loves His people and will protect them from their enemies. Jesus also brought a message of comfort, salvation, and peace to His people. All of the enemies of God and His children were defeated at the cross. One day, God will finally judge all evil.
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray: God, You deserve all our worship, and You will not allow Your glory to be shared with anything else. Help us to remember that You are right to punish sin, but You are patient and want to show mercy to those who trust in You.