The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that God promised to bless all the world through Abraham. God sent Jesus from His home in heaven to be born on earth into Abraham’s family. Through Jesus, all the nations of the earth are blessed because Jesus saves people from their sins.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Go outside, challenge your kids to count as many stars as they can. When they give up counting, talk about God’s promise to give Abraham as many descendants as the stars in the sky. God’s promise was to make Abraham’s family a blessing to the whole world. Remind your kids that this promise was fulfilled when Jesus—born into the family line of Abraham—came to offer forgiveness and salvation to anyone who believes in Him.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Who is your favorite athlete? Your favorite athlete is probably a star player on your favorite team or someone who is one of the best in the world in your favorite sport. Few people, probably, have a favorite athlete who sits on the bench and never plays or is way far down on the list of top players in the world. Why would someone choose an athlete like that?
- When God chose Abraham and promised to make his family as big as there are stars in the sky, it seemed like an odd choice. At this point, Abraham was an old man who didn’t have any children. How would Abraham be the father of a great nation? Why would God choose someone like that?
- Abraham did not seem like the best choice to carry out God’s plan, but God’s plan did not depend on Abraham’s ability. This plan was up to God, and it could not fail because God is faithful and true. He will always do what He says He will do. And God can do what no person can do.
- God chose Abraham because He is the God who makes all things possible. God showed His faithfulness and power by giving Abraham and Sarah a son when they were almost 100 years old! Through that son, God built the nation of Israel, His chosen people. From this nation, just as God had promised, Jesus was born.
- God is faithful. He will always keep His promises. First John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” God kept His promise to bless the world through Abraham, and He will keep His promise to save all who believe in Jesus.
- God promised to bless all the world through Abraham. God sent Jesus from His home in heaven to be born on earth into Abraham’s family. Through Jesus, all the nations of the earth are blessed because Jesus saves people from their sins.
- Pray: God, all things are possible with You. You are faithful and we can trust You to always keep Your promises. Help us to trust You more and to know all the ways You have blessed the world through Jesus.