The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our children that in the beginning God created everything and it was good.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
- Say: “Everything had a beginning. Light had a beginning, flowers had a beginning, all the animals had a beginning, and you and I had a beginning.”
- Say: “Starting with the letter ‘A,’ let’s go through the alphabet naming an animal for each letter. Think of an animal that starts with the letter ‘A,’ like ant or alligator, then stand up. (FOR PRESCHOOL AGE CHILDREN: Help children think of animals or anything God made at creation.)When I pick you, run to the center of the circle, say the name of the animal, and then run back and sit down. Then we will move onto the letter ‘B’ and so on until we have done the whole alphabet.”
- At the end of the activity, say: “In today’s story we are going to learn about the beginning of all the animals. We are also going to learn about the beginning of all people and also about the beginning of the whole universe. Ready?”
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Say: All God did was speak and everything you saw in our story — and more! — was created.”
- Ask: “What did God say after he created things? That’s right, he said it was good. In fact, after he created Adam and Eve, God said the world was perfect. Everything God created at the beginning was perfect.”
- Say: “God created everything and everyone. He created trees and he created me. He created stars and he created you.”
- Say: “Remember that every story in the Bible whispers Jesus’ name. Even though we didn’t hear Jesus’ name in this story, he was there when everything was created. What did we discover about Jesus from today’s story?”
- Say: All the Stars and the mountains and oceans and galaxies and everything were nothing compared to how much God loved His children. He would move heaven and earth to be near them. Always. Whatever it cost Him, He would always love them.
- Ask: Do you already know what it would cost God to be near us? God would send Jesus! This is the beginning of the wonderful love story of Jesus!
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray aloud, thanking God for his good creation.
- Ask the children to choose one thing in creation to thank God for. Ask them to pray out loud starting with the words, “Thank you, God, for creating . . .”
- End the time by praying: “Thank you, God, for all the things you have created. Amen.”