The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that the kingdom of God is like finding a hidden treasure. It is worth anything we might have to give up, because Jesus is our real treasure.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this exercise to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Go on a Treasure Hunt in your house. Have children find these things and bring them back to the group.
- A CLEAN SOCK
- SOMETHING RED
- A PEN
- A RIGHT SHOE
- A CUDDLY TOY
- SOMETHING ROUND
- ONE SHEET OF TOILET ROLL
- A PIECE OF FRUIT
- SOMETHING THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER M
- A SPOON
- SOMETHING GREEN
- SOMETHING RECTANGULAR
- A BOOK
- A PICTURE OF SOMEONE YOU LOVE
- A HAIRBRUSH
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
Read Pages 250-255 in the Jesus Storybook Bible
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Say: “Jesus told this story to show that the kingdom of God is like a hidden treasure.
- What is the kingdom of God?
- The kingdom of God is wherever God is King; it is wherever God is in charge. It is also where God fills his people’s hearts up with his Forever Happiness. And the kingdom of God is like a hidden treasure.”
- How is the kingdom of God like a hidden treasure?
- Say: “Being in the kingdom of God is as wonderful as finding hidden treasure.”
- Jesus is the real Treasure! Have children say that together with you
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray aloud, thanking God for the amazing rescue he planned for his people. Thank God for sending Jesus, the Lamb, to die instead of us, to rescue us.