The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that God has sent his Holy Spirit to be with us and live in us. The Holy Spirit helps us to obey God and to tell others about Jesus.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this discussion time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Play like “Simon Says” but using the words “The King Says”
- Call out commands (e.g., skip; freeze; wave your hands in the air; jump up and down five times; dance; touch your nose; etc.), sometimes prefacing each one with the words, “The king says ...” Comment on how the children respond (e.g., “Oh dear, about half of you obeyed that command, but I did not have the crown on my head, so I was not a king. Let’s keep trying. Everyone ready?”).
- I am not a real king. But Jesus is a real King so when he tells us to do something, we must do it. In today’s story Jesus tells his disciples (and that includes us) to do something important. See if you can spot what it is. But first let’s worship! ?
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 3. BIBLE!
Read Pages 326-333 in the Jesus Storybook Bible
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Say: “Tell me about the story we just watched”
- If you believe in Jesus, God the Holy Spirit lives in you and will be with you. It is like having Jesus with you always.
- The Holy Spirit will help you to do what God wants and help you tell others about Jesus.
- Who is someone our family can tell about Jesus?
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray aloud, thanking God that the Holy Spirit lives in everyone who believes in Jesus. Pray that the Holy Spirit would help you and the children to obey and tell others about Jesus.