The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that Samuel anointed David, setting him apart to be the next king. God’s choice for Israel’s king was surprising; David was the youngest in his family, but God saw David’s heart for the Lord. When Jesus came to earth, He seemed like a surprising choice for a king. Jesus is the perfect King who saves us from our sin and reigns forever.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- As a family, take a trip to the grocery store and pick out fruit that looks delicious. Discuss how we can usually tell if fruit will be good on the inside by how it looks on the outside, but people are not the same. We can’t tell about a person’s heart on the inside by looking on the outside. Only God knows everyone’s heart.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- In 2016, a bidder at Sotheby’s auction paid $61,250 for a small piece of fungus! Before you think he was too crazy, this fungus was a European White Truffle, a rare delicacy. Chefs from around the world crave truffles to use in their recipes. Even though a truffle is a fungus that grows in the dirt, it has been set apart as one of the most treasured foods in the world.
- If you stumbled across a truffle in the wild, you might not even know what it is. It doesn’t look like something that could sell for thousands of dollars. Much like truffles, it can be hard to judge people just by looking at the outside. When God told Samuel to find the next king of Israel, it would’ve been easy to look for the strongest warrior, wisest teacher, or most handsome prince. Instead, God chose David, a young shepherd boy who was the youngest of his family.
- David didn’t look like the obvious choice for king, but God saw beyond his appearance and treasured David as the king He wanted. Much later, God would send another king that looked different than what the people expected. His name is Jesus, and He is the King above all kings!
- Samuel anointed David, setting him apart to be the next king. God’s choice for Israel’s king was surprising; David was the youngest in his family, but God saw David’s heart for the Lord. When Jesus came to earth, He seemed like a surprising choice for a king. Jesus is the perfect King who saves us from our sin and reigns forever.
- Pray: God, we praise You because You are wise! You give purpose and value to those the world might overlook. We praise You for seeing beyond what we can see and using all things for Your glory!