Child Like Faith
Theme: In Matthew 18:1-5 The disciples ask Jesus who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? Jesus gives them an answer that they weren't ready for! Greatness in the Kingdom of heaven is becoming like a child!
1.. Greatness in the Kingdom starts with surrender Vs 3
“Kingdom greatness isn’t about our ability, it’s about surrender”
“God needs our yes before He’ll ever get our best.”
Vs 3 First off, in order to even be in the kingdom of God, your first have to “change” (repent) and become a child of God. You have to become like a child.
John 3:3 you have to be born again. No matter how “great” you are on this earth our greatness won't get us into heaven. We have to become low like a child and become dependent on Jesus alone for salvation.
- Has there been a time in your life when your life changed? (Do you remember a spiritual birth?)
- Is there evidence in your life that you’ve been adopted by God?
2.. Greatness in the kingdom is marked by humility Vs 3-4
Lowly position! Children in Jewish culture didn’t have any rights or say so. They were considered lowly.
Not only does Jesus teach that we should be lowly, but Jesus himself also lived a lowly life! As Christians, we should have the same mindset as Jesus!
“If serving is beneath you, Leadership is beyond you” if you are not a good servant, you’ll never be a good leader. If there isn’t any interest in sacrificially serving, then there probably isn’t much interest in God’s Kingdom. Mark 10:45 He didn’t come to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
- Humility is the mark of maturity and salvation. Are you growing in humility and saving others?
- What is your next step in having a “christ-like mindset” Philippians 2:5-11?
- What are some practical ways you can start serving others in the church and the community around you?
3.. Greatness in the Kingdom is about childlike faith
Children are dependent on their parents! Children can't depend on themselves to live life. God wants us to become dependent like children! The more we grow in our faith the more we will become fully dependent on God and not ourselves.
“You never grow beyond the gospel, you grow deeper into it.”
Some of us think that kingdom greatness is marked by gifted talents
Some of us think that kingdom greatness is marked by knowledge
Some think that kingdom greatness is marked by who does the most works.
God says greatness is marked by childlike faith.
John 5:19 be dependent on God!
- How needy are you for God?
- Where in your life do you need to get to “infant status”?
- When you look at your life, are you really dependent on God for anything? (What?)
4.. Greatness in the kingdom is about living to welcome people in. Vs 5-6
Jesus cares about His children, how much more should his children care for those
Who are entering into his kingdom. God cares about the humble and hurting who
are looking for a savior, We should be the first to welcome them in.
“Don’t just see people where they are, see them for who they could be in Christ.”
The church is the means God uses to bring people into the kingdom.
Don’t be a stumbling block for others coming to Christ.
Don’t become too busy for the kingdom.
Don't become too professional for the kingdom.
Don't become too religious for the kingdom.
- What are some ways you’ve seen people be a stumbling block for others coming to Jesus?
- What are some things in your life that could be making a brother or sister stumble?
- Have you ever truly entered into the kingdom? (Are you really saved?)