Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand
Theme: In John chapter 6:1-35 Jesus Shows us another sign. Remember signs point us to something else! This particular sign points us to Jesus being the bread that comes down from heaven and gives eternal life. (See Exodus 16:4)
1. Learn From the Crowd
When we look into this passage what we see is that the crowd Missed it!
A. Don’t Miss the point! Vs 26
They were seeing Jesus through an earthly, temporary, physical lens.
Jesus was focused on the spiritual. Their greatest need wasn’t one meal, their greatest need was reconciliation with God!
The crowd was characterized by
They just wanted what Jesus could offer them physically, but they didn’t want Jesus for Jesus!
- Spiritual blindness
They were blind to their biggest need. They wanted physical bread when their biggest problem was they were spiritually starving.
Vs 66. They all walked away in the end because of their unbelief.
B. Don’t miss the heart of God
Mark 6:34 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd.
Jesus’s Heart broke for them!
Apart from Jesus, they (and we) are lost wandering in the darkness with no true life and no true purpose.
C. Don’t be spiritually starved!
Jesus's whole point is “I am the bread of Life”.
If you want to experience true life, I am the essential ingredient.
Food and water can fill you for a few hours, but Jesus can fill you forever.
- What are some real ways people miss the point of Jesus today?
- How can we get distracted on what Jesus can do for us in the here and now and forget that our greatest need is to be reconciled to God through what he did for us on the cross?
- Based on the actions of your everyday life, does your heart break for lost people the same way Jesus’s heart did?
- What are some things other than Jesus that you tend to look to for Fulfillment? How does that work out for you?
2. Learn from the Disciples!
When we look into this passage we see that the disciples trust and treasure Jesus above all else!
A. True Disciples Treasure Jesus Above All:
When everyone else turned and walked away the disciples can still be found at the feet of Jesus. ch 6:6-69
B. Little is much in the hands of Jesus:
Jesus took a little boy's sack lunch and fed 20,000 people!
Jesus doesn’t need our possessions, Jesus wants our faith! You may not have much, but take what you have and put it into the hands of Jesus and watch him work! He wants to use you! Stop focusing on what you have and focus on who he is!
C. Be a blessing to those around you:
The disciples were the hands and feet of Jesus. They were God’s delivery boys.
God was using them to meet physical needs.
God was using them to serve lost people.
God was using them to be Generous towards the hungry and needy.
God was using them to count others more significant than themselves.
D. God Will take care of you:
The Disciples ate last! But they did eat. There were exactly 12 baskets left over, for exactly 12 disciples! God always provides!
True disciples don’t see Jesus as a ticket! (Out of hell, for blessings on earth, etc…) they see Jesus as treasure above all things!
- What are you treasuring over Jesus? Have you ever viewed Jesus as a ticket over treasure?
- A Little faith goes a long way with Jesus! A Little faith can produce a ton of fruit. What are some little things in your life that God wants you to be faithful in? What's not happening because you're not being faithful in the small things?
- What are some tangible ways your group could be a blessing to others around you this week?
- When you trust God’s word and you put others first, God always provides! How have you seen this come true in your own life?
3. Learn from Jesus!
In this passage, Jesus is revealing to us who he is!
A. He is the Good Shepherd.
His heart broke because they were like sheep without a shepherd! Jesus is the Good Shepherd! Jesus wants us to trust his leading! He wants us to follow him.
B. He is the Bread of Life.
Jesus alone can satisfy an eternal hunger.
C. How would your life change if you believed this?
- How would your life change if you believed Jesus was The Good Shepherd?
- How would your life change if you believed He was the bread of life that comes down from heaven to give you eternal life!