The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our children that the Bible is not mainly about us; it’s about Jesus. It is not mainly about what we must do, but about what God has done. All of the Bible is about Jesus. Every story in the Bible whispers Jesus’ name.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Hold up a Bible and an instruction book (example… to your tv or refrigerator)
Ask: “If I want some good rules on how to fix our TV, which book will I read?”
Say: Both these books will tell me things I should and should not do.” Hold up instruction book and say: “But this book will give me rules and nothing else. All it will tell me are the rules.” Hold up The Bible and say: “But although this book does have rules in it, it is about much, much more.”
PLAY MUSICAL BOOK (like hot potato) Pass the Bible while playing music when the music stops the person holding the Bible is out. Have them say “The Bible is about JESUS!” Continue to play until you have one person left
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- “As we are reading the Bible together we’re going to discover that every story in the Bible tells us something about Jesus. Some of the stories may seem to be about nothing but rules. Some of them may seem to be a simple story of a great hero. Some of them may seem to be about us.”
- “But all of the Bible is about Jesus. Every story in the Bible whispers Jesus’ name.”
- Ask: “What did we discover about Jesus from today’s story?”
- Say: “It takes the whole Bible to tell the story of Jesus. Every Story in the Bible whispers his name. He is like the missing piece in a puzzle, the piece that makes all the other pieces fit together.
- Pray aloud, thanking God for the Bible and asking him to help you and the children learn more about Jesus as you read it.
- Allow children to pray, saying thank-you to God for the Bible.