The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our children about the first Passover, where a lamb was sacrificed to rescue God’s people. Jesus is called the Lamb of God, because he was sacrificed to rescue us
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Play JOURNEY AROUND THE WORLD: Explain to your family that you are going on a journey…AROUND THE WORLD!! And you all can go anywhere in the whole wide world that you want.
How to Play:
- Choose one person to pick the first destination (e.g. China), then ask another person to choose the mode of transportation you will use to get there (e.g. swimming). Have everyone act out the mode of transportation for a few seconds before reaching your destination.
- Once you decide you have arrived, ask each person what you can see/do while there and act those out accordingly (e.g. see some Pandas in China, go to the beach in Mexico, run away from cheetahs that are chasing you in Africa, hide from mummies in the Great Pyramids, etc).
- Make sure every person has an opportunity to provide some input into the journey.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Say: “God rescued his people from being slaves and led them out of Egypt. This great rescue is called Passover because when God saw the blood of the lambs on the doors of the houses, he ‘passed over’ those houses and the people inside them were safe. Remember that night there was something or someone dead in every house.”
- Ask: “Who died in the Egyptian homes? Yes, the oldest son. Who died in the homes of God’s people? That’s right, a lamb died. In the homes of God’s people, the oldest son was kept safe. The lamb died in place of the oldest son. That meant the oldest son could point to the lamb and say: ‘That lamb died instead of me.
Jesus in the Story
- Say: “But this is not the greatest rescue in the Bible. An even greater rescue was coming. What was that rescue? That’s right, when Jesus died on the cross, that was the greatest rescue.”
- Say: “Just as the oldest son could point to the lamb and say, ‘That lamb died instead of me’ a Christian can point to Jesus and say, ‘Jesus died instead of me.’ That is why Jesus is called the Lamb of God.”
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray aloud, thanking God for the amazing rescue he planned for his people. Thank God for sending Jesus, the Lamb, to die instead of us, to rescue us. Ask the children to pray, thanking God for the rescue from Egypt and for the greatest rescue—Jesus dying on the cross