he focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our children that Joshua and the people obeyed God. God made the walls of Jericho fall down and led them into their new home. God promised to always be with them. God will always be with us too, and we too must obey God.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Play: Wipe the Smile
Sit around in a circle. Youngest starts. He smiles his widest, silliest smile at everyone round the circle, trying to make someone else giggle or laugh. He gets a point for everyone who can't keep a totally straight face. After a while, he uses one hand to literally "wipe" the smile off his face, and hand it to the person next to him, and on it goes.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- At the end of the story, say: “Isn’t it amazing! Only God can knock down the walls of a city by people shouting and blowing trumpets.
- 2. Say: “Joshua and God’s people obeyed God. Joshua and the people didn’t have to follow battle plans; they just had to do what God said. Only God could make the walls of Jericho fall down by having people shout and blow trumpets. And he did! So the people entered their new home.”
- 3. Ask the children to think of one specific thing they need God’s help with (for example, telling the truth) and ask them to pray that God would help them to obey.
Jesus in the Story
- Say: “ Remember the end of the story? The people soon stopped obeying God; they didn’t do what God said; and many years later they would lose their home. But God promised he would always be with them, so one day he would give them another Leader and another home. We all know who that Leader is, right?” Jesus!
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray aloud, asking God to forgive you and the children when you have not obeyed him and asking for help to obey him in the future. Thank God that he promises to always be with everyone who believes and trusts in him.