Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
ASK the following:
If you were a pirate and someone on your ship disobeyed the rules, do you think they should walk the plank or be marooned (left alone) on an island?
Tell me about a time when you or someone disobeyed the rules
TEACH kids that Jesus shows us mercy, which is when we don’t have to pay for the wrong things we’ve done. We can also show mercy by not making others pay when they do something wrong to us.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Who did Jairus ask for help? (Jesus)
- Did Jesus help Jairus? (Yes)
- What did Jesus do to help Jairus? (Made his
- daughter wake up and feel better)
- Do you think Jesus wants to help you and me like He helped Jairus? (Yes!) Yes! This story is in the Bible so that we will know Jesus wants to help you and me! )
We’ve made a discovery! The Bible Says Jesus Helps Me! Do this with me:
The Bible Says (hold out hands like book)
Jesus (point up)
Helps Me! (reach out palms up, & pull thumbs to chest)
- What was Zacchaeus’ job? (A tax collector. He would steal some of the tax money from people and keep some for his self!)
- True or False: Zacchaeus only took the correct amount of money from people.
- (False; he took more money and kept some for himself)
- Why couldn’t Zacchaeus see Jesus? (He was too short)
- True or False: Jesus wanted to go salsa dancing with Zacchaeus. (False; Jesus wanted to go to Zacchaeus’ house)
- Were the people excited or upset that Jesus was going to eat with Zacchaeus? (They were upset and grumbled about it)
- What did Zacchaeus do because Jesus showed him mercy: give back the money to the poor or buy a new house? (Gave back the money)
- How does Jesus show mercy to us? (He died on the cross to pay for our sins so we don’t have to)
Say: Jesus did not give Zacchaeus what he deserved, which was to be punished for stealing money. Instead, Jesus showed mercy on him and forgave him. We should also show mercy to others!
That’s what we need to know today: “When I Follow Jesus, I Have Mercy!”
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray aloud, thank God for his mercy and his help. Thank God for sending Jesus!