The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that Jesus has power over nature. He can do things other people cannot do. We can trust and have faith in him.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this exercise to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Play Color Chase
- Choose a color and players find something in their homes which is the chosen color.
- This game can be played several ways. If you want to play for points, when the host says “Go,” the first person to return with an item gets a point. Whoever has the greatest number of points at the end of the game wins.
- If you don’t want to play for points, give people a time limit (such as 60 seconds) to fetch their items.
- However you play, participants take turns sharing their items.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
Read Pages 236-243 in the Jesus Storybook Bible
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- At the end of the story, say: “Isn’t that amazing! Jesus is able to calm a storm by speaking.
- The disciples ask a very good question. When Jesus calms the storm, they ask each other: ‘Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!’ What is the answer to their question? Correct, Jesus is God so he has power over the wind and the waves.
- Do you remember we discovered that Jesus has power over sickness and over death? Here we discover that Jesus has power over nature. Does Jesus have power over things that other people do not? Yes! He does!
- What the disciples did not understand is that Jesus is perfect and powerful in every way. Jesus can do things that we can’t do. He has power over sickness and death and he has power over storms, over nature. What else can you think of that Jesus has power over?
- We can trust Jesus and have faith in him completely. There is nothing to be afraid of, because Jesus is always with everyone who trusts and believes in him.”
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray aloud, thanking God that he is powerful and so we don’t need to be afraid.
- Ask the children to think of something they are afraid of and then to pray that Jesus would help them trust him instead of being afraid of that thing.