The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that Jesus is the risen King, the way, the truth, and the life. We also learned that we need to tell others about Jesus.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Play “The King Says”:
Use this game to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Play like “Simon Says” but using the words “The King Says”
- Call out commands (e.g., skip; freeze; wave your hands in the air; jump up and down five times; dance; touch your nose; etc.), sometimes prefacing each one with the words, “The king says ...” Comment on how the children respond (e.g., “Oh dear, about half of you obeyed that command, but I did not have the crown on my head, so I was not a king. Let’s keep trying. Everyone ready?”).
- I am not a real king. But Jesus is a real King so when he tells us to do something, we must do it. In today’s story Jesus tells his disciples (and that includes us) to do something important. See if you can spot what it is. But first let’s worship! ?
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 3. BIBLE!
Read Pages 318-325 in the Jesus Storybook Bible
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- What do you think the disciples thought when they saw Jesus?
- The disciples may have been surprised when they first saw Jesus, but soon they realized that Jesus is alive again. Their King is alive again. Jesus tells them something more about himself. He is not only the King but also three other things. Do you remember those three things? He is the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE!
- Jesus says ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’ If people believe in Jesus, they will be with God and Jesus forever because their sins are forgiven. Jesus was punished for their sins. But if people do not believe in Jesus, they will not be with God and Jesus forever, their sins are not forgiven, and they will be punished for their sins themselves. Jesus commands us to tell everyone, everywhere about him.”
- Think of someone you know who does not know Jesus. How can you tell them about Jesus? Why not plan this week to pray for them and ask God to help you to tell them about Jesus.”
STEP 5. Pray!
- Pray aloud, thanking God that Jesus is alive. Pray for someone you know who does not know Jesus.
- Ask the children to pray for someone who does not know Jesus.