The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family about the very best gift ever — Jesus! God kept His promise to send Jesus.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this discussion time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- PLAY Telephone with the group, having kids start it off by whispering a fun phrase about Christmas to their neighbor (Ex: The stockings are full of candy and toys.) Kids will continue whispering what they hear to the next person until it gets back to the first child. SEE if the phrase stayed the same or if it changed!
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 3. BIBLE!
Read Genesis 2-3, Isaiah 7:14, Micah 5:2, Luke 1:26-55, 2:1-20, Matthew 1:18-25, 2:1-11
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- If you went to the toy factory, what are some toys you would want to see made? (Allow responses) All of those toys sound like fun! Toys and gifts are one of my favorite things about Christmastime!
- What is the very best gift that we celebrate at Christmas? (Jesus) Of course! Jesus is the best gift ever! He is way better than any toy, video game, or gift card we could open on Christmas morning.
- Did you know that God gave His people hints about the very best gift He would send one day? (Allow responses) He did! Just like we might ask for a hint about a gift underneath the tree or shake it to guess what’s inside, God gave His people hints or promises about Jesus for thousands of years before Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
- Do you think God came through on all of His promises that He made about Jesus? (Yes) He did! God always keeps His promises. Why do you think that the best promise God made was to send Jesus? (Because He took the punishment for all the wrong things we do, because He fixes our broken friendship with God, etc.) The best promise that God made was to send Jesus to be the Savior of the world, and that’s the best gift that we celebrate at Christmastime!
STEP 5. Pray!
- Hey God! Thank You for keeping Your promise and sending Jesus to take the punishment for all the wrong things we do. Help us to remember that He is the best gift ever! We love You! Amen.