The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that God saved Moses’ life and called him to rescue God’s people from slavery. The calling of Moses points to a greater calling and rescue—the call of Jesus to come to earth to save God’s people. Jesus gave up His life to save us from slavery to sin.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Challenge a family member to attempt walking through the house blindfolded. While he walks, ask another family member to use her voice to guide the blindfolded family member through the house. Let every family member take a turn in each role. After the activity, discuss how God called Moses and promised to be with him wherever he went.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- In 1939, DC Comics introduced a character that would become quite famous: Batman.
- Do you know what batman was famous for?
- Batman fought crime and enforced justice for the people of Gotham City. Whenever the peace of Gotham was disturbed by criminals, something would light up the night sky, calling for Batman to come to the rescue.
- Do you know what that was? The Bat Signal
- As we open the Book of Exodus, we see God speaking to Moses—not through a bat signal but through what? Yes, a burning bush that never burned up.
- Why would God use such a dramatic sign to get Moses’ attention?
- Because He was calling Moses to something amazing and possibly frightening: to rescue His people from slavery in Egypt.
- In Exodus 3:10, God said to Moses, “Therefore, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh so that you may lead my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt.” God promised to be with Moses and to supply the power he needed to free the Israelites.
- God saved Moses’ life and called him to rescue God’s people from slavery. The calling of Moses points to a greater calling and rescue—the call of who?
- Yes, Jesus! Jesus would come to earth to save God’s people. Jesus gave up His life to save us from slavery to sin.
- We all love a good rescue story like the ones from comic books, but is the story of Jesus’ rescue for sinners is true? Yes 100% TRUE and even more amazing!
- God, we praise You because You are great. We see Your great power in the way that You used Moses to rescue the Israelites, and we see Your great love to send Jesus to rescue us from sin. Help us trust that You will be with us and give us the power we need to do what You call us to do.