The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that The Israelites did not trust God. They rebelled against Him. Jesus trusted God perfectly. He came into the world to take the punishment we deserve for our own rebellion against God. When we trust in Jesus, God forgives our sin and invites us into His kingdom forever.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Get a globe or a map and let someone close their eyes and point to a place on the globe/map. Find some facts about the country on the internet and then have your family pray for the people in that country.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- M.C. Escher was an artist most known for his drawings that trick the eye. One of his most famous works, "House of Stairs," shows multiple staircases that are connected yet appear to be going in different directions. Escher used different perspectives to make it seem impossible that these stairs could really exist, but the drawings are based on mathematics that actually make it possible.
- When the 12 spies returned from inspecting the land God had promised them, they had a difference of perspective. All of the spies reported how plentiful the land was and even returned with a large cluster of grapes, but were some of them afraid of the people who lived in the land? Yes!
- The people focused on the perspective of a land full of unbeatable enemies and failed to trust God. Even though God had delivered them time and time again, they complained that Moses had led them out of Egypt to die.
- Most of the spies believed it was impossible to defeat the people living in the land, but who believed that God makes all things possible? Joshua and Caleb!
- These two men urged the Israelites not to be afraid because God was with them. Did they believe that God would give them the land He had promised? Yes!
- The people refused to listen, but because of their faith, Joshua, Caleb were allowed to enter the land of Canaan along with the children after wandering in the wilderness. What seemed impossible to many was possible with God! While it is impossible for us to save ourselves from the curse of sin, God has made salvation possible through who? Jesus! When we place our faith in Him, we receive the reward of eternal life that God has promised.
- The Israelites did not trust God. They rebelled against Him. Jesus trusted God perfectly. He came into the world to take the punishment we deserve for our own rebellion against God. When we trust in Jesus, God forgives our sin and invites us into His kingdom forever.
- Pray: “Lord, help us keep our eyes on You. When something seems impossible, give us faith to believe that all things are possible with You. Thank You for sending Jesus and making forgiveness of sin possible through Him.”