The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that God deserves our worship. He created us to be in a relationship with Him, and He has provided salvation from sin through His Son, Jesus. We can worship God by loving and obeying Him as we live to give Him glory.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Use the Internet to look up funny or unusual laws that are technically still enforceable in the United States. Talk about how those laws might have once filled a purpose but are no longer needed. Now, flip through the Book of Leviticus together and read some of the laws God gave the Israelites. Some of these laws are no longer needed, but they still show us how we are to relate to a holy God. Talk about some of the ways your family can use offerings as a way to worship God.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- If you were going to cook dinner for your family, you’d probably have the most success if you followed a recipe. A recipe tells you exactly what ingredients you need, how much of each ingredient you need, and the correct order and way to add each ingredient to the dish. The recipe helps you to serve a meal that tastes the way everyone expects it to taste.
- God gave the Israelites rules for how they should worship and what to do when they sinned. These rules were like a recipe that made the Israelites’ worship pleasing and acceptable to God. The Israelites were commanded to worship God through offerings and sacrifices. The offerings helped the Israelites to celebrate God and give Him thanks. They also helped the Israelites to praise God for everything He had done to save His people.
- One of the most important ways the Israelites were commanded to worship was through the sin offering. Because sin must be punished, the sin offering required the Israelites to sacrifice an animal. This sacrifice could not fully cover the penalty of sin, so more sacrifices had to be made. It was a sad reminder of the ongoing consequences of sin.
- The people continued to worship God through their offerings, but no offering or sacrifice was enough to save them. Only Jesus—the perfect Lamb of God—could pay the penalty for sin. His death was a once-and-for-all sacrifice, and faith in Him is the only recipe for salvation.
- God deserves our worship. He created us to be in a relationship with Him, and He has provided salvation from sin through His Son, Jesus. We can worship God by loving and obeying Him as we live to give Him glory
- Pray: “God, You are worthy of worship. Thank You for giving us many ways to worship You. Help us give You the praise You deserve and help us to glorify You with our lives."