The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that God went ahead of Joshua and the Israelites into the promised land. He showed His power to them so they would trust in Him. When Jesus came to earth, He showed His power so people would trust in Him and be saved from sin.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Make a memorial wall in your home. Use objects, photos, or drawings to help your family remember the awesome things God has done in and through your family. Take time sharing the stories to one another and praising God for His goodness.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- The Gateway Arch stands 630 feet tall over the city of St. Louis, Missouri. Built in 1963, the arch is made of concrete and steel, and it weighs more than 43 tons! This impressive monument is meant to remember and celebrate the westward expansion of the United States that connected the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. It is known as the “Gateway to the West.”
- Monuments like the Gateway Arch are meant to help people remember, but this idea is actually much older. After God miraculously stopped the Jordan River for the Israelites to pass through, He gave Joshua specific instructions for building a monument. The Israelites took 12 stones from the middle of the river, and they built a monument to remember what God had done. Whenever someone asked why those stones were there, the Israelites could retell the stories of their strong and mighty God.
- Psalm 78:4 says, “ … tell a future generation the praiseworthy acts of the Lord, his might, and the wondrous works he has performed.” Remembering the awesome things God has done helps us to trust Him. We can also tell others about His wondrous works—like how He sent Jesus to save us from our sin—so that they might believe in Him.
- God went ahead of Joshua and the Israelites into the promised land. He showed His power to them so they would trust in Him. When Jesus came to earth, He showed His power so people would trust in Him and be saved from sin.
- Pray: Lord, we praise You because You have done great things! Help us remember all the awesome things You have done and to share those stories with others to help them know You.