The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that As Joshua prepared for his own death, he left behind a legacy of obedience to God. After Jesus’ death and resurrection, He appeared to the disciples and left them with a legacy: to obey Him by making disciples of all nations.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Look through family photo albums with kids. Talk about the seasons or special moments when your family experienced God’s loving kindness. Discuss how remembering His love for us makes our love for Him grow. Encourage kids to worship God with their obedience.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Here’s a quick challenge: make a list of all the gifts your family has ever given you. Try to remember as many gifts as you can from birthdays, Christmas, or other special occasions. As you look over the list of gifts that show how much your family loves you, you likely find your love for them growing bigger and bigger.
- Remembering the ways others have shown love to us naturally makes our love for them grow. Do you think that when Joshua came to the end of his life, he took time to recall all the ways God had shown love to him and the Israelites? Yes! Joshua reminded the Israelites how God had rescued them out of Egypt, brought them across the Red Sea on dry land, and helped them to win so many battles. Had God had shown His faithful love to Israel over and over again? Yes!
- As they remembered the ways God had shown His love, Joshua urged the people to give thanks by worshiping and obeying God. Their obedience would be a sign that they remembered everything God had done. It would be an act of worship to the God who had shown them such great love! Let’s think of some things as a family that God has done for us!
- As Joshua prepared for his own death, he left behind a legacy of obedience to God. After Jesus’ death and resurrection, He appeared to the disciples and left them with a legacy or in other words a command. Do you remember what that command was? to obey Him by making disciples of all nations and that command is for us too!
- Pray: God, help us remember all the ways You have shown love to us. When we think of those things, help us respond by loving You with our trust and our obedience. Thank You for loving us through Jesus and helping us to find our hope in Him.