The People Kept Sinning:
The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that The judges saved the people from the consequences of their sin, but not the cause of it. God’s plan was to one day send a true Deliverer—Jesus, His own Son—to be the King of His people. Jesus saves people from sin forever.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God
is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
- Romans 6:23
STEP 1. GATHER!
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Play a game of follow-the-leader. Direct the leader to walk in a funny way, sing a song, or dance while others follow his motions. Assign one family member to shout “Repent!” at any point during the game, at which point the entire family must turn and begin marching in the opposite direction. The person at the opposite end of the line is now the leader. After playing, discuss what repentance means (Repentance is turning away from sin and turning to Jesus). Talk with kids about God’s desire for people—including your family—to turn away from sin and follow Jesus.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 3. BIBLE!
Watch the Bible story video or read Judges 2 from the Bible:
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- In 1998, five countries worked together to launch the International Space Station. It orbits Earth approximately 15 times per day, collecting data for research. It’s been flying the same path around the planet for 24 years. If you do the math, this means the International Space Station has circled the planet more than 131,000 times. Talk about going around in circles!
- After Joshua died, the next generation of Israelites forgot about the wondrous works God had done. For many years after that, the people followed the same devastating path of sin. Did the Israelites remember God? No! Over and over again, the Israelites forgot God, turned away from God, and then cried out “God save us!” Each time, God sent a judge to deliver his people and save them from their enemy. Do you think that stopped the cycle of sin? No! But the cycle of sin kept going around and around.
- Is this same cycle is in our lives? Yes! We have sinned and turned away from God. When we realize how sin separates us from God, we should cry out “Save us!” Glory to God that He has heard those cries for help! Who did God send to deliver us? JESUS! He sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sin and be the perfect Deliverer! Only Jesus has the power to defeat sin. He is the better rescuer who can deliver us from the cycle of sin.
- The judges saved the people from the consequences of their sin, but not the cause of it. God’s plan was to one day send a true Deliverer—Jesus, His own Son—to be the King of His people. Jesus saves people from sin forever.
- Pray: Jesus, thank You for being the Rescuer we need! Only You can save us from our sins. Help us to remember Your works and help us to follow You as King.