The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that God chose Saul to be the Israelites’ king. With God’s help, Saul brought the Israelites together to defeat their enemy. God sent His Son, Jesus, to be our King forever. Jesus brings together everyone who trusts in Him and gives us victory over sin and death.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Choose a large object like a chair or couch that would be difficult for kids to move on their own. Allow each child the opportunity to lift the object using their own strength. Then, have all family members work together to lift the object using their combined strength. Remind kids of how the Israelites worked together to defeat their enemy and how God can use His people—the Church—to do more than we can do on our own.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- The American Bison is the largest mammal in North America, weighing up to 2,000 pounds! That’s pretty cool right? Something that is even cooler is the way they protect one another. When danger is near, the herd of bison will circle around the young calves and weaker bison to protect them. The herd sticks together to keep every member safe!
- The people of Jabesh were terrified when the Ammonite army surrounded their city. The men knew they were not strong enough to fight. Their only hope was for someone to come with help to save them, so who did they call on? Saul! Saul gathered men from across Israel and Judah. Like bison who protect one another, the people came together to fight. The men defeated the Ammonites and saved the city of Jabesh. The people praised God and made Saul their king.
- God used Saul to keep the Israelites safe and deliver them from their enemy, and the people trusted Saul as their king. When we needed an even greater rescue, who did God send to save us from sin and deliver all those who believe in Him? Jesus! When we realize all Jesus has done to save us, our response should be to worship Him as the King of kings!
- God chose Saul to be the Israelites’ king. With God’s help, Saul brought the Israelites together to defeat their enemy. God sent His Son, Jesus, to be our King forever. Jesus brings together everyone who trusts in Him and gives us victory over sin and death.
- Pray: God, we praise You for sending Jesus to be our Deliverer. He has come to save all who believe in Him, and He offers victory over sin. Help us to trust in Him as King.