The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that God gave the Israelites a king, but Saul did not obey God. God had a plan to send His Son, Jesus. King Jesus trusted and obeyed God perfectly and died so sinners could be forgiven and accepted.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Start a stopwatch and challenge family members to try and guess when two minutes have passed. Discuss how Saul waited far more than two minutes for Samuel to arrive, but still should have trusted and waited rather than disobeying God.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- In 1964, Jim Marshall, a linebacker for the Minnesota Vikings, made history for the wrong reasons. The opposing team fumbled the football, which Jim picked up and ran 66 yards into the end zone! The problem was that Jim had run the wrong way! Instead of six points for his team, Jim’s mistake gave two points to the other team!
- Like Jim, we all make mistakes, and mistakes have consequences. For King Saul, his mistakes cost him his crown. When he faced the Philistine army, Saul tried to make an offering to God, which was only allowed by priests. After defeating the Amalekites, Saul again disobeyed God’s commands. Because of his disobedience, God would replace Saul with another king.
- Even though Saul was king, he was not perfect. Saul sinned against God, and his sin had consequences. Our sin has consequences too—the biggest of which is to be separated from God for all eternity. Our only hope is found in Jesus—the perfect king!
- God gave the Israelites a king, but Saul did not obey God. God had a plan to send His Son, Jesus. King Jesus trusted and obeyed God perfectly and died so sinners could be forgiven and accepted.
- Pray: Jesus, thank You for perfectly obeying God, even to the cross. Because You perfectly obeyed and gave Your life for us, we can have forgiveness and acceptance by believing in You. We praise You as the perfect King!