God is Good to Judge Sin:
The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that God is good to judge sin. He is the Judge of all the earth, and He always does what is right. God will punish the guilty. The good news of the gospel is that Jesus took the punishment our sin deserves, and everyone who trusts in Him is declared righteous before God.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”
- Isaiah 6:5
STEP 1. GATHER!
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
- Discuss a family favorite movie or book series that has a “bad guy.” Ask if it would be a good story if the bad guy didn’t have any consequences for his actions. Talk about the fact that, because we all sin, we are all “bad guys.” God is good and right to give consequences to sinners, and the only way for sinners like us to be saved is by trusting in Jesus.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 3. BIBLE!
Watch the Bible story video or read Genesis 18 from the Bible:
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- What if we let our dog make the rules for our house? You’d have to play fetch all day, eat every meal from a bowl, and everyone must use the bathroom outside! That would be ridiculous because a dog is not the right person to make rules for people!
- When it comes to people, only God can be trusted to make the rules. God created everything and He is King over everything. He is always good and always just, so we can rejoice in the rules He makes for us.
- The people of Sodom and Gomorrah disobeyed God’s rules. Abraham tried to find even a few who had not sinned against God, but there was no one. God destroyed the city as judgement for their sin. It might sound scary to hear what happened to the city, but sin must be punished. God is doing what is right and good by judging sin. One day, God will judge everyone for their sin. The good news is that Jesus has taken the punishment for sin and pardons all those who trust in Him.
- God is good to judge sin. He is the Judge of all the earth, and He always does what is right. God will punish the guilty. The good news of the gospel is that Jesus took the punishment our sin deserves, and everyone who trusts in Him is declared righteous before God.
- Pray: God, You are good and just. You created everything and rule over it with Your goodness. We thank You for giving us rules to help us honor You, and we thank You for sending Jesus to offer forgiveness for us when we sin.