The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach your family that the baby Jesus fulfilled Isaiah’s prophecy, as well as other Old Testament prophecies, about the coming Savior. Through His life, death, and resurrection, Jesus fulfilled God’s plan of redemption that God planned before the world began.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Who would you choose? Invite kids to answer the following questions. Kids should choose anyone in the world, living or dead. Discuss why each kid chose the person she chose.
- •If you were the captain of the football team, who would you choose to be your quarterback?
- •If you were the president, who would you choose to be your vice president?
- •If you were going to an amusement park, who would you choose to go with you?
- •If you could go skydiving with anyone, who would you choose to jump with you?
- SAY - There’s a lot to consider when picking a person to do a job. Today we will learn that God chose Mary and Joseph to be Jesus’ earthly parents.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Whom did God choose to be Jesus’ earthly mother? (Mary, Luke 1:27-33)
- Whom did God choose to be Jesus’ earthly father? (Joseph, Matt. 1:16)
- How did Mary and Joseph respond when God told them He had chosen them? (They obeyed God, Matt. 1:24; Luke 1:38)
- Do you think it would have been easy or hard for Mary and Joseph to trust God? Guide kids to discuss the faith that Mary and Joseph showed. Remind them that there is nothing easy about being a parent, but that God always does what is best.
- Why do you think God chose ordinary people to be Jesus’ parents? Guide kids to see that when God uses ordinary people, it shows His power. Mary and Joseph could not have done God’s plan on their own. They needed God’s strength to help them.
- How does it make you feel to know that God can, and often does, use ordinary people in His amazing plans? Guide kids to discuss the amazing truth that God can use each of them to do amazing things for His kingdom. He has a plan for them, and His plans always come true.
SAY - Mary was an ordinary girl chosen by God to be the mother of His one and only Son. The task was extraordinary, but Mary trusted God. An angel assured Joseph that Mary’s baby was from God. The angel told Joseph to be Mary’s husband and name the baby Jesus. God chose Mary and Joseph to be Jesus’ earthly parents.
- Pray: God, thank You for revealing Your love for us by sending Jesus to save us from sin. Help us love You and trust You. You can do all things and always do what is best. Help us trust You as Mary and Joseph trusted You. Amen.