The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that God rescued Noah and his family from the flood. The story of Noah points ahead to a greater rescue. God’s Son, Jesus—the only perfectly righteous One—came to take the punishment for our sin. By trusting in Him, we are saved from the punishment our sin deserves.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Ask your family to bring their favorite stuffed animal to Famliy Worship Night. Let each person show their animal and talk about everything Noah and his family would have experienced on the ark. God used the ark to rescue Noah’s family and the animals from the flood. But an even greater rescue came through Jesus.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- When God told Noah to build a big boat called an ark, it must have seemed like a pretty challenging command. The ark Noah was to build was going to be huge. And he had to build this giant boat with just the help of his family. That’s a lot of work that would take a long time. How long do you think it would take our family to build an ark like Noah?
- There was a reason for it all. God was ready to send out His punishment for the sin that had spread across the whole world.
- What does it mean to sin? We sin when we disobey God and do anything that goes against God and His commands.
- Everything had been infected by sin, and therefore everything would be destroyed.
- Everything, that is, except Who? Yes, Noah, his family, and the animals inside the ark. Because they were inside the ark, they were saved from the flood. God showed His overwhelming love and kindness by giving them this way to be saved from the punishment of sin. And he showed other people the same kind of kindness by giving them the opportunity to turn from their sin while Noah took all of that time to build the ark.
- God has shown us the same overwhelming love by sending someone to save us from our sin.
- Do you remember who God sent?
- Romans 8:1 says, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” We can escape God’s judgment against sin only through faith in Jesus Christ.
- Like Noah and his family found safety inside the ark, we find our hope and salvation in who? Yes, Jesus!
- Pray: God, You promised Noah safety in the ark, and You promise us eternal salvation in Jesus. Help us to remember that You always keep Your promises.