The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that Melchizedek reminds us of Jesus, an even greater priest and king who lives forever. Jesus died on the cross and rose again to bless all who trust in Him by providing forgiveness and eternal life.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Lookup the origin and meaning of each family member’s name. If you chose a child’s name because of its meaning, share why you did. Talk about how the meaning of Melchizedek, “king of righteousness,” is a sign that points us to Jesus as the perfectly righteous King.
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- The next time we are in the car, let’s try to count how many road signs we see. It will be a lot because they’re everywhere! Drivers are required to pay attention to these signs and to know the message each sign communicates. Road signs are there to help you notice what you might otherwise miss.
- As we read our Bibles, God has placed signs everywhere that are meant to draw our attention to Jesus. Long before Jesus was born, God gave us pictures of what Jesus would be like and what He would do. God did not want us to miss seeing Jesus as the hero of the story!
- God placed one of these signs in the story of Abraham. After Abraham fought to rescue his nephew Lot, he was visited by a man named Melchizedek. Melchizedek was the King of Salem, and the Bible says he was also “Priest of God Most High.” Melchizedek blessed Abraham, and then he pretty much disappeared from the story of the Bible.
- These short verses that introduce us to Melchizedek are a sign meant to point us to Jesus—the better King and greater Priest! The book of Hebrews says that Jesus is the “high priest we need: holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens.” (Hebrews 7:26) Jesus gave Himself as the perfect sacrifice for our sins. Through faith in Him, we can have forgiveness and eternal life.
- Melchizedek means “king of righteousness.” Melchizedek reminds us of Jesus, an even greater priest and king who lives forever. Jesus died on the cross and rose again to bless all who trust in Him by providing forgiveness and eternal life.
- Pray: God, thank You for all the signs that point us to Jesus. He is better than anything else. Help us to trust in Jesus and help our lives to be a sign that points others to Him.