The focus of this family time is to use five easy steps to teach our family that Abraham showed his love for God by being willing to sacrifice his son Isaac. God provided a ram instead. This is how God showed His love for us: He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross so that we could have eternal life through Him.
Learn the Memory Verse together and say it throughout the week to help your family remember and apply what they have learned.
Use this time to begin Family Worship Night and have fun!
Take your family on a hike. As you hike, take the time to talk about the story of Abraham and Isaac. Ask your kids to describe what they might have felt if they were Abraham or Isaac. How did Abraham trust God in such a difficult situation? Take a moment to thank Jesus for His sacrifice and His willingness to die in your place..
STEP 2. WORSHIP!
- Sing and have fun while worshiping then pray. Take a moment here to thank God for your family and your time together!!
STEP 4. DISCUSSION!
Use these questions and points to have a conversation with your children about the Bible story.
- Do you have a favorite toy or stuffed animal that you would never want to give away? Parents, do you have a favorite item—cellphone, TV, a car—that you would never want to lose or be without?
- What if God asked you to give up that special item and never use it again? We can all thank God for giving us the things that we love, but we would likely be pretty upset if He asked us to give up something so valuable or special.
- That’s why Abraham’s trust and obedience are even more remarkable. When God tested Abraham’s love, Abraham was faithful to do what God said—even the unthinkable assignment of sacrificing his son. Even in such a hard moment, Abraham trusted and obeyed God.
- Abraham led Isaac up the mountain toward the place where the sacrifice would be made. As Abraham prepared to do what God had told Him to do, he was suddenly stopped by the angel of the Lord and he saw that God had provided a ram to sacrifice instead of his son, Isaac.
- Abraham’s obedience showed how much he loved God, but God showed us an even greater love by sending His Son to die for us. Like the ram that God provided to save Isaac’s life and die in his place, God provided Jesus to save sinners like us. God sent His only Son to be our substitute and die for us. When we trust in Jesus and what He has done for us, we receive forgiveness and eternal life through Him.
- Abraham showed his love for God by being willing to sacrifice his son Isaac. God provided a ram instead. This is how God showed His love for us: He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross so that we could have eternal life through Him.
- Pray: God, we thank You for loving us and giving Your son to save us. Because You love us, we want to show our love for You by trusting and obeying You no matter what. Help us to obey You so that others can see how much we love You and how much You love us.